Law Offices of David E Oles, LLC


Many parents are surprised to learn that, despite having primary custody of their child, they may be restricted from moving to a new area. Noncustodial parents have rights to, and they may be able to object to a proposed move if it will put significant distance between them and the child.

If you are a parent trying to move, or if you are trying to block your child’s other parent from leaving the area, contact our firm today. When you choose our firm, our experienced Alpharetta child custody attorney will take the time to learn about your unique situation and goals. We will then construct a legal strategy which is completely aligned with your goals, and will work tirelessly to execute it.

How Is Relocation Restricted?

Georgia has fewer restrictions on relocation than many other states. The parent who wishes to move must give the other parent at least 30 days’ notice, during which time the other parent can file a petition to block the relocation. The parent wishing to block the move must then prove that staying in Georgia would be in the best interests of the child.

A petition to block relocation is essentially a request for a modification to the custody agreement, a matter with which our Alpharetta child custody attorney has extensive experience. You do not have very much time to block the move, so it is important to build a strong case with the help of our attorney. If you are the parent trying to move, we can help you prove such a move is in the best interests of the child.

Call For Dedicated Representation

Matters of child custody can be contentious, complex, and can have a major impact on your ability to be part of your child’s life. When you retain our firm, you can trust that our Alpharetta family lawyer is working with your interests in mind. We take the time to learn about you, your unique situation, and your goals, and work tirelessly to help you achieve them.