Law Offices of David E Oles, LLC

Contempt of Court

Contempt of court in family law refers to violations in custody and visitation plans ordered by the court. These orders are primarily based on what is in the best interest of the child and if you or your ex-spouse violates either of them, you can be found in contempt of court.

Our team of Alpharetta divorce lawyers at the Law Offices of David E Oles, LLC has 20 years of experience in handling even the most complex cases. Our representation is specifically tailor to meet every need because no two cases are exactly alike. We handle cases in which a parent must file for a contempt motion and parents who have been filed against with empathy, understanding, and an aggressive approach towards legal solutions.

Consequences of Contempt

If one parent violates a court order such as custody or visitation, the other parent can file a motion that will ask the court to hold the violating parent in contempt of court. The process for ordering the motion includes serving the motion and setting the hearing date. These motions cannot change a custody agreement, but a contempt hearing can order changes to the visitation agreement.

Examples of custody and visitation violations include:

  • Blocking visitation – This occurs when a parent makes a child unavailable for court-ordered visitation and deliberately rearranging the child’s schedule so that other activities interfere with the court ordered visitation times.
  • Blocking communication – This includes blocking phone calls or emails between the child and the non-custodial parent.
  • Denying visitation – In some cases, a parent who is not receiving child support feels entitled to withhold the other parent’s right to visit the child.

Schedule Your Case Evaluation

Your choice in legal representation can greatly impact the outcome of your case. Our Alpharetta family law attorneys at the Law Offices of David E Oles, LLC are passionate about standing up for their clients and defending their rights every step of the way. No matter what the circumstances of your contempt issue are, our firm is ready to be your advocate.